History


Jeptha Abbott, the revolutionary war soldier for whom our chapter was named, was born in 1752. He resided in Unionville, New Jersey. He was a private in the 3rd Battalion from Gloucester City, New Jersey. He died on July 18, 1826 and is buried on the grounds of the Aura United Methodist Church, #86 historic site, in Gloucester County. Aura, N.J. Aurora, New Jersey. On October 14, 1967 our chapter placed a DAR marker on his grave.

Elizabeth Abigail Ransley, who became Mrs. William A. Clementson, 2nd, organized the Jeptha Abbott chapter on November 18, 1929. Jeptha Abbott was her ancestor. She was the first regent and served from 1929-1932. Mrs. John R. Williams, Jr. completed Mrs. Clementson's unexpired term when she became Mrs. Clementson was married and moved to Massachusetts.
During Mrs. Clementson's regime, the General Anthony Wayne Society,
C.A.R. was organized and the first senior president was Mrs. T. Ewing Montgomery.

Mrs. Walter Z. Shiber, Regent from 1932-1935, carried on successfully despite the bank failures. On December 10, 1932 a marker was dedicated marking the Bucks Tavern in Haverford (now the junction of Old Buck Lane and Lancaster Ave., Lower Merion, PA) as a place where George Washington, with his staff, had stayed in 1777. On October 23, 1969 this marker was re-dedicated on the original site.

When Mrs Joseph J. Klumpp held office from 1935-1938 we were recovering from the Depression. Major projects were started at Tamassee and the Kate Ducan School by the Pennsylvania State DAR, which the chapter ably supported.


1938-1941 saw Mrs. James R. Cameron Regent, busy with the furthering of approved school scholarship aid, assisting the American Red Cross, with with F.B.I. on several sabotage investigations, and planting Penny Pines Jubilee project. Each chapter across the country was to pledge, at the very least, one acre of pine seedlings. Five dollars an acre at a penny each equals 500 trees.
Now we enter into the war years of 1941-1944 when Mrs. Ray P. Farrington was regent. The members supported the Chapter and National Society, and aided in war work. In the spring of 1944 the cornerstone of the Bell tower at Valley Forge was laid - a National Project which was undertaken by our National Society.


1956-1959 Mrs. J. Christian Myers, Jr. was our regent. Through her efforts, we had in 1958 the largest increase in membership of any chapter in the state. The Chapter was again on the honor roll and continued to give strong financial support to the DAR schools and charities.

Mrs. Haig Hercant Pakradooni, Jr. was regent from 1959-1962, during which time our aid to DAR schools and charities was continued. At the DAR Headquarters at Continental Hall, we replaced the American flag in the Pennsylvania foyer and supplied a stone bench in the Memory Garden. A donation was given to the new Ardmore YMCA.


Mrs. Albert W. Douglas begun her three year term as regent in a very busy way. She was General Chairman of the 1962 PSSDAR State Conference and also the Platform Chairman. The chapter continued its full support of DAR schools through scholarships. Three nursing school scholarships were given to American Indian students at the Pennsylvania Hospital. An American flag was given to the Merion Girl School troop.

Through the years of 1965-1968, Mrs. R. Warren Grigg was Regent. Our by-laws had not been revised since 1950. Realizing this Mrs. Grigg appointed a committee to revise the by-laws. Our chapter flag was replaced, and we moved our meeting place from the Overbrook Presbyterian Church to the Ashbridge House. An Oriental rug was placed in the Pennsylvania Alcove in Constitutional Hall. A new walk was supplied at Kate Duncan Smith DAR School so that children could go from one building to another, with protection from the weather.


In observance of Jeptha Abbott Chapter’s 50th Anniversary, funds were sent to the Tamassee DAR School to build and furnish the “Jeptha Abbott Convalescent Lounge." Funds were sent to Tamassee for playground equipment, a new front entrance, and funding also was supplied to help build a new dining hall. In 1991, Jeptha Abbott chapter funded a program to improve reading skills at Tamassee and gave money for three young students to join the Kate Duncan Smith DAR School Work Program.

Jeptha Abbott Chapter provided for two stained glass windows to the National Patriots Bell Tower, Washington Memorial Chapel in Valley Forge National Park, Pennsylvania. The Bell Tower, housing one of the largest and finest carillons in the world, was dedicated on April 18,1953, built with funds from National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.


The Patriot Tower, Valley Forge Park

At the top of the tower are 58 cast bronze bells, each of different size, representing each US state and territory. There are 112 steps to a small office. At 102nd step are located the two stain glass windows donated by Jeptha Abbott Chapter.

 
West View:
Pennsylvania
Jeptha Abbott Chapter
Ardmore
Pennsylvania

                                                                                             
 
  South View:
Pennsylvania
Jeptha Abbott Chapter
 Mrs. Joseph Vallery Wright
 Regent: 1950-1955



The Daughters of the American Revolution has made history for over one hundred years. They reach into the second century with a growing service organization of 165,000 members in 3,000 chapters, in all 50 states, Washington DC, and in international chapters in Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Spain, and the United Kingdom.

Jeptha Abbott Chapter is strong and successful, each member contributes her strengths and capacity in creating a world where heritage is respected, family supported, education is encouraged, and our country is deeply loved.

Jeptha Abbott Chapter warmly welcomes all DAR members and their guests to society functions.

If you wish to inquire about DAR membership, our program dates & location, community services, or have any other questions, please contact us for further information.